Saturday, June 19, 2010

The Double Bind


You must read this book. I have to admit when I started reading this book, I was not impressed. It was a little slow, and I felt that as Bohjalian was describing his main character, Laurel, it was if I was viewing the action from outside a window looking in. I just could not connect. The only reason I stayed with the book is because my book club was reading it. I am so glad that I did stick with it. Around page 50, the action started picking up and it became intesting.
Bohjalian slowly develops Laurel's character, building layer upon layer who this girl is and why she does the things she does. She has suffered a traumatic event, and the reader has to figure out how that event fits into her present day life.
Bohjalian also cleverly weaves in the fictional characters from the book The Great Gatsby. He continues to develop Fitzgerald's story and artfully includes these characters in his book. He tackles the issues of homelessness and mental illness.
But what really makes this book is the ending. He interjects a suprise that hits the reader right between the eyes. I did not see it coming. This book is well worth reading up to the last page!

No comments:

Post a Comment