Friday, July 9, 2010

The Grand Canyon


I finally have time to write! Seriously, this is the first chance I've had to write since I got back from vacation on July 2. I went on vacation with my two kids, who are nine, and my mom to Yuma, Arizona, The Grand Canyon, and a short day stop in Colorado Springs, Colorado. We drove from Kansas City. That sentence is a loaded sentence. Anyone who has driven 24 hours one way should know how loaded that sentence is. I drove because of the horrible airfares and air restrictions, and I used to think I was a driver. Now, if I can't get to a place by driving in one day, I think I will fly. As lovely as the landscape was, driving for 12 hour stretches with two kids and a mom was just too much for my mental state.
You might wonder why I went to Yuma, Arizona, right? I decided to make this trip and make it part of my and my kids' vacation because my sister and her family just moved there. Her husband is a marine, and he just took over command there. I felt it was really important to be there for her, and it was. I am so glad I did that. There are moments in life that are really important to other people. These moments may take time and effort from others, but it is really imortant to be there. And it was really fun.
But I learned some important lessons about myself and traveling. First, a ten day vacation is too long. I think five days is pretty perfect. I really did get homesick for my house and routine. Second, I think I am a one destination kind of girl. Going from place to place, staying in several hotels, opening and closing the suitcases, traveling in that blasted car was incredibly gruelling. I would much rather pick one destination, stay awhile, and really explore what the place has to offer. Third, and I'm iffy on this one, more than one day of traveling by car in order to reach the destination may kill me. This was a weird vacation, though, because it was kind of a joint trip. My mom was definitely going to go to my sister's thing and presented that to me. I wanted to also incorporate the Grand Canyon. It was way too much.
I may sound negative, but I truly am not. This was an amazing way to see the Southwest, and the landscape was incredible. The culture was very different. We stopped at a restaurant in Wyckam, Arizona (Nana's Sandwich Saloon, which was superb), and my daughter said, "I feel strange. I'm different here." That's one of the amazing things about traveling. You get to see how different people are, even in your own country. I loved seeing my sister and her family. My kids did too. However, I know I will travel differently next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment